Have I mentioned I’m in paradise?
Of course, there’s no such thing. But when we allow ourselves to believe this simple fairy tale, bookended with no schedules, no responsibilities, no To-Do list, and no meetings, we can almost disappear for a minute into days of endless possibility, indulgent foods of my youth, afternoons dozing on the beach, and wearing PJs until noon.
We also find ourselves suddenly able to recognize and enjoy those simple pleasures, the things that in our haste to be on time, and maximize output, and multitask to the hilt, we miss. To me, there is perhaps no greater pleasure than uncomplicated meals, served outside, with friends new and old.
Each season has its ingredient “Darlings”; the things that restaurants and farms alike fall in love with and celebrate across their menus. This year it seems to be Garlic Scapes. They are everywhere, and such fun to cook with given their beautiful shapes, savory flavor, and VIP status.
This breakfast was the ultimate in simplicity, nothing more than some sautéed garlic scapes, wilted rainbow chard, eggs, and good sharp cheddar cheese, but eaten while looking out over the cove, and barely finishing by noon, it was, at the moment, all I wanted.
Rainbow Chard Egg Scramble in a Garlic Scape Nest
1 TB Olive Oil
1 Garlic Scape, thinly sliced, avoiding the light green bottom and bulb plus 2 more for garnish
10 leaves rainbow chard, washed, dried, and coarsely chopped
4 eggs, vigorously beaten
1/4 cup extra sharp cheddar, the best you can find, loosely diced
- In a cast iron skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the garlic scape and cook stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes, until pungent.
- Add 2 TB of water to the pan and cook until water has evaporated and garlic is softened
- Add the rainbow chard and cook until wilted, and all liquid gone.
- Reduce heat to low, and add the eggs.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cheese, and stir well to combine.
- Cook until desired doneness is achieved.
- Serve with toasted English Muffins, nestled in a Garlic Scape nest for garnish.
Category 15-Minute-Meals, Breakfasts, Cheap Eats, Entertaining, Health Conscious, Uncategorized, Vegetarian | Tags: al fresco dining, clever garnishes, cranes beach, easy elegant breakfasts, eggs, garlic scape, garlic scape garnish, rainbow chard