Spectacular, Spectacular: Grilled Bruschetta with Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Basil, and Shrimp32
Recipe:Grilled Bruschetta with Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Mozzarella, Basil, and Shrimp
This past weekend my Uncle Daniel took us on a boating adventure up to the San Juan Islands. It is truly breathtakingly beautiful up there, with vistas you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the States. We boated, we kayaked, we laughed, and of course, we ate. Happily bobbing along on the Moon Dance II, a handmade wooden craft by the renowned Sam Devlin, we enjoyed cooking up feasts in the boat’s galley, aptly named the Moon Dance Diner for all the impressive creations Daniel whipped up there.
Day 17 of no buying groceries, coupled with boat friendly cuisine made this one a little tricky, but no less spectacular. The robust and bright flavors of the slow roasted tomatoes come to life when paired against the sizzling buffalo mozzarella. Basil freshly picked from the garden just the day before provides a welcome depth, and when topped with one impeccable grilled shrimp helps elevate an otherwise generally standard antipasto to an elite affair.
Grilled Bruschetta Topped with Buffalo Mozzarella, Slow Roasted Tomatoes, Chopped Basil, and Grilled Shrimp
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as a main course.
- 2 Ciabatta loaves, cut in half
- 1 TB butter
- 4 slices buffalo mozzarella
- 1/2 cup basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup slow-roasted-tomatoes, room temperature (I’m loving the Smitten Kitchen recipe, right now)
- 8 jumbo shrimp, raw and tail on, tossed in 1 TB Olive Oil
- Preheat grill.
- Using either a grill pan or skewers, cook the shrimp until pink and cooked through. About 2 minutes a side. Once done, set aside.
- Meanwhile, butter ciabatta loaves and grill until nicely marked, buttered side down, about 5 minutes
- Remove ciabatta and top with mozzarella over grill marks. Return to grill and cook until mozzarella melted, about 5 minutes.
- Cut loaves in half and top with basil, slow roasted tomatoes, and shrimp.
Category 15-Minute-Meals, Appetizers, Entertaining, Seafood, Uncategorized | Tags: basil, boat trip meal planning, grilled bruschetta, grilled shrimp, mozzarella, picture of lost kayak, sam devlin, san juan islands, san juans, shrimp, slow roasted tomatoes, sucia island