Recipe: Arugula Goat Cheese Salad with Grilled Shrimp and Pomegranates
Thank you all for the birthday wishes. It was a grand day indeed complete with soaking up sunshine, ice cubes clinking against margarita filled glasses, and a seemingly never-ending stream of great friends, great food, and great fun.
As an “adult” (whatever that means) I think I am supposed to have reached a state of general maturity and evolution so as to not feel disappointed when my birthday is over. But alas, between you and me, I’m not there yet. I love the anticipation and the excitement and the planning. And then I love the day…and then it is over, with simply a mysterious bruise or two and a full recycle bin as evidence.
Never one to pout and pity party for (too) long, I inevitably find myself back in the kitchen, slowly stirring, and chopping, and whisking the lurking gray clouds away.
This salad screams Summer! And Fun! And Self-Righteously-Healthy! It is literally impossible to be grumpy while eating this salad, as the spicy arugula is paired with the burst in your mouth pomegranate seeds, countered by the smooth taste of goat cheese, and punctuated with a bite of a pine nut. Make this when reality has returned, but you’re not quite willing to give into it yet.
GIVEAWAY WINNER: Many thanks to all who shared the Eggplant Carpacio recipe. Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and more were buzzing…but despite my wish that everyone win a bottle of Olive Oil, there could only be one winner. And that winner is…Bonnie K who shared via Twitter!
Arugula Salad with Grilled Shrimp, Pomegranate, Pine Nuts, and Goat Cheese
- 12 jumbo shrimp, tail on, shell off, thawed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 TB
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 cups baby arugula, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup Pomegranate seeds (Trader Joes sells them ready to go if you like)
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat grill until 500 degrees
- In a small bowl combine the shrimp, 3 of the cloves of garlic, and 2 TB of olive oil. Let marinade at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing combine the remaining olive oil, garlic, balsamic, honey, and egg yolk. With a whisk or immersion blender, blend until well combined and slightly emulsified.
- Reduce grill to half heat, and cook until pink, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Note: Most people over cook their shrimp…it takes hardly any time and you want then to stay juicy.
- To serve, plate the arugula, pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, and goat cheese. Top with shrimp and drizzle with dressing.
Category 15-Minute-Meals, Giveaways, Health Conscious, Salads, Seafood, Uncategorized | Tags: arugula, goat cheese, gray clouds, grilled shrimp, outdoor party ideas, pine nuts, pomegranate, pomegranate seeds, truffle popcorn