Recipe: Breakfast Tostadas with Chorizo and Chipotle Crema
The father of three, an infant, a toddler girl, and an only slightly older boy, had the air of the weekend parent. The one whose voice was a little too high and asked his three-year old a few too many rhetorical questions. They were the people boarding the plane that everyone hoped wouldn’t be sitting next to them.
“Family of five”, they proudly told the distractingly pretty Alaska Airlines agent who when no one was looking liked to play with her hair. And yet there they were. Wedged firmly in next to me, in notorious aisle 15, en route to Puerto Vallarta.
Our ultimate destination was the darling seaside town of Sayulita, Mexico where we’d indulge in a week in paradise with dear friends. A week to write, to sleep, to eat, and to cook. To stay up late and sleep in later, to have to be no where, and to have to answer to no one.
One of my favorite parts of traveling to little villages like this is the food. The holes in the wall and rickety carts on the side of the road you have to be brave enough to frequent but are always glad you did.
While lunches and dinner were often done out, breakfasts we enjoyed in, taking advantage of the rich produce and our poolside palapa. These Breakfast Tostadas with Chorizo and Chipotle Crema were spectacular. A perfect blend of crunch, spice, cheese, egg, and my latest addiction, chipotle crema, which is made with little more than sour cream and chopped chipotles in adobo sauce, but that you’ll quickly be looking for excuses to add to everything. This recipe is utterly flexible, so use whatever is in the fridge that appeals for a breakfast fiesta any day of the week.
Breakfast Tostadas with Chorizo and Chipotle Crema
- 4 corn tostadas
- 4 eggs, any style (poached, over easy, fried)
- 1 cup chorizo, cooked
- 1 cup shredded Queso Blanco (Cheddar or Monterrey Jack would be a fine substitute
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sour Cream
- 1 can chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce
- Lime juice
- Fresh Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the Chipotle Crema, by mixing 1 cup sour cream with 1 TB adobo sauce, 1 chipotle pepper, finely chopped, and one TB lime juice. You can add more or less sauce/peppers pending your preference for heat.
- Put tostadas on a cookie sheet, and evenly distribute cheese.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling and melting, top with egg, chorizo, and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle with Chipotle Crema and finish with Fresh Salsa
**All photos: Nadia Flusche