Fig and Goat Cheese Morsels Drizzled with Truffle Honey17
Recipe: Fig and Goat Cheese Morsels Drizzled with Truffle Honey
I like a good party. Always have, and suspect I always will. Dinner parties, cocktail parties, dance parties in the kitchen when no one is looking, I like them all.
When it comes to entertaining the appetizers are often my favorite piece to put together. Perfect little bites that can be as naughty and indulgent as you like. When you add in phyllo dough (the WonderBra of cooking; everything looks better with it), you literally can’t go wrong.
The inspiration for these little beauties came to me as I was trying to think of a twist on the expected from the traditional spinach and feta triangles I usually make. The combination of the rich, creamy goat cheese, punctuated by the figs, nestled in the phyllo and finished with truffle honey is truly exceptional. The best part? These can be put together in less than 15 minutes, and would be equally good as an appetizer or savory dessert.
Fig and Goat Cheese Morsels Drizzled with Truffle Honey
Makes 16, multiply as necessary
- 2/3 cup figs, finely chopped (this time of year I couldn’t find fresh, so I just got the SunMaid California Mission Figs, which worked surprisingly well.)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 sheets phyllo dough
- 3 TB butter, melted
- Truffle Honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 16 cups of a mini-muffin tin.
- Mix the figs and goat cheese until coarsely combined.
- Remove one sheet of phyllo and lightly brush with melted butter. Add the second sheet on top and brush with butter again.
- Using a 2.5″ round cookie cutter cut out 16 circles (Truth: I don’t have a 2.5″ round cookie cutter, so I just cut 2.5″ squares).
- Press the phyllo into the muffin tin, making small nests.
- Divide the fig and goat cheese filling evenly among the nests, and brush the edges with butter.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown and goat cheese bubbling.
- Drizzle with truffle honey and serve immediately.
Category Appetizers, Entertaining, Make ahead, News | Tags: easy appetizers, fig and goat cheese appetizer, gourmet appetizers, make ahead appetizers, truffle honey
Figs + cheese (especially goat cheese or brie) = one of the best combinations ever! 🙂
Oh brie…that would be good. Might have to try that next time. Or blue cheese….oh dear. This could go on for a while!
What a great recipe. Figs and goat cheese are part of the Mediterranean diet. This would be great as an appetizer while your guest wait for the main meal. Great post Erina thanks for sharing!! 🙂
I hadn’t thought about them being part of the Mediterranean diet, but right you are!
Oh yum! I want some for dinner tonight… with a glass of wine 🙂
The wine is a must, Karista!
These look amazing! Apps are my favorite too- fancy and fun and tiny delicious bites! Can’t wait to try these!
Thanks Heather. I’m excited to hear what you think!
What a fine gourmet appetizer! Fig, goat cheese and truffle honey…what’s not to love!
You kind of summed it up, Angie. All good ingredients, and all better with each other!
Ohhh, such terrific little bites, Erina! I do love appetizers and often make a meal of them when out at a restaurant. You made me smile with your WonderBra reference – so true with phyllo!
I could live on appetizers. And caesar salad. And bubbles. But yes, appetizers are always the best part in my book.
Oh my! These sound amazing!
Thank you! They were a fun surprise and so easy.
Fancy and delicious bites! I would love a few to go, please? 🙂
They actually travel pretty well! Better fresh out of the oven, to be sure, but not too shabby on the road either.
What adorable nests! Your making me feel brave enough to buy some phyllo dough. And I love the crowning touch of truffle honey — yum.